Thursday, November 18, 2010

ya know what i'm sayin

Whenever I listen to rap songs, I always pay attention to the lyrics. Why? Because sometimes its like "whoa" and sometimes its just stupid and makes you go "what the...". Old school rap lyrics are more about the life in the hood, the guns, the dope game and all that hard life thingy. But now where life is a lot easier than back then, what's left for a rapper to rap about? I started to really notice this after listening to Young Money.


Here's part of the lyrics from Lil Wayne and Drake's song Right Above It:

My real friends never hear it from me,
Fake friends write the wrong answers on the mirror for me
,
That's why I pick and choose
, I don't get shit confused,
I got a small circle
,
I'm not with different crews
,
We walk the same path,
but got on different shoes
,
Live in the same buildin',
but we got different views
,

Then I think to myself, "whoa, damn deep man". But just wait for the next line:

Don't like my women single,
I like my chicks in twos
,
And these days all the girls is down to roll
,
I hit the strip club and all them bitches find a pole,

Then I start laughing.

Here's some from Nicki Minaj
Nicki on Roger That:

White girls tell me "Hey Nicki your camp rules
Is that why you get more head than shampoos?"


Creative rite?

Then there's this one is Nicki on Bedrock:

Okay I get it let me think I guess it's my turn
Maybe it's time to put this pussy on your side burns

huh??
what the hell is that??

But its not all bad, here's one by Jae Millz, from Bedrock as well:


She ain't got a man but she's not alone

Miss independent yea she got her own

Hey gorgeous, umm, I mean flawless, well

That's what you are, how I see it, this how I call it


quite smooth right. Haha.

But the thing that impresses me the most is how they can come up with sentences or comparisons where they brag about how good they are.

This is Drake on F*** Da Bullshit:


Cause I get paid to stand,
and I get paid to sit

So I don't walk around with money, baby girl I'm made of it


Jay Z on On To The Next One:



Came in Range, hopped out the Lexus
every year since I’ve been on that next sh-t
traded in the gold for the platinum rolex’s
Now a n-gga wrist match the status of my records


Where else can you get sentences like these? Or feel fly like a G6, like a G6... None other than rap songs. So why don't you try listening to some, maybe you can get more poetic someday.

Young Money Baby!!!





1 comment:

CL said...

Rapping is like the new age poem,
you may like it or dislike the rhythm,
but let me tell you a little somethin,
its music, its pedantic, its education.