Monday, February 20, 2012

Jazz Jazz



I'm taking History of Jazz this semester as an elective, and to get credits I have to attend some jazz concerts and write a report about it. So this is my first concert, the Spring Swing in CU.

Macky Auditorium. Where the arts happen.

The CU Jazz Ensemble 1 did a great job playing classic jazz songs. To me the drummer was the most stylo, moving his whole body to music while playing the drum. His solo to Sing Sing Sing was especially good. But one thing you can't help but to notice was that there were a lot of very old people there. A LOT.

The Stage before.

The stage during.

Anyway, what did I learn in my Jazz class? Mainly about the people places and different style of jazz. There's the Minstrel and Vaudeville shows, the Blues, Ragtime and Swing plus others that we haven't talked about in class.

This is Glenn Miller, he was a CU student back in the day, and now there's a Glenn Miller Ballroom in CU. Check out one of his famous song, In the mood.

Glenn Miller

Btw here's a video of Swing dancing in the early 1900's that I thought you should see. One word I'd use to describe it is IMBA! seriously imba. The dancing starts halfway through so you can skip the early part. Again, damn IMBA!




Finally some classic jazz songs you might wanna listen to:

Sing Sing Sing
Singin' The Blues
Weather Bird
The Entertainer
Blue Skies
It Don't Mean A Thing
West End Blues

No comments: